Wednesday, June 23, 2010

24 May Monday- 28 May Friday 2010

We went to several people’s homes- Lydia and her son Neo, for example, just squeezed my heart. Edwin- J. L. Zwane center guide- shared with us her very tugging situation. We found out she has breast cancer, her son has brain tumors and no family that genuinely supports her. What she is/has been through makes my head spin, but when we prayed for her, she said bless you and asked that she would keep her in our prayers as she was to get surgery on June 16th and her son in a couple months. What I am realizing time and time again is that although most want to get out of these situations, they are at peace and have a strong faith. Everyone that I heard about attends church, a group of dedicated and devoted followers of Christ their savior and redeemer.
I really don’t know how to summarize my stay in Gugulethu. Each day I learned a wealth of knowledge about Mam Tot, Sinazo, Julie, the anaXhosa culture, the way of life in a township, the food, the education system, transportation… but stories, hmm, yes.

I helped cook! Yuummm beats, purple that stains your hands, and an aroma that I thought would be permanent. I learned how to cook Umqusha (Samp), Vet Koek (rolls in muffin tins). Butter nut squash-LOVE IT!
One day we went to a hospice and were able to sit and listen to whoever wanted to talk. St. Lukes Community Hospice only allowed their patients to be admitted for two weeks. Danie and I went to visit Sylvia, a wonderful lady who just celebrated her 60th birthday! She had lymphoma cancer and explained her treatments. She told us about her many grandchildren who she cares after. When she goes to get her treatment, her husband takes care of the kids. She asked us to pray for her daughter who struggles painfully with drug addictions and also for her husband who had a stroke in January and was never able to regain his speaking and fine motor abilities (yes the same husband who is supposed to be taking care of the grandchildren when she gets treatment). Case after case of health troubles are common around the globe- yes. But what I am realizing more vividly that instead of sobbing at the problems and situations I cannot do anything about, let’s look to solutions, and support where solutions are implemented currently. God is at work, He is in control, regardless of whether it seems ‘fair’ or not. Here in Cape Town and its surroundings, is generations of people proud at the progress of their country. Proud that they are the 1st African country to host a soccer World Cup. Proud of being blessed with life which they can live in. If they lose that pride, they know their country- the people- will fall apart.
An example of solutions= The Amy Biehl Foundation (I guess there is a bias there) We worked with the Amy Biehl Foundation Thursday and Friday of our week in Gugulethu. Amy’s parent’s came to South Africa after her death and realized the impact she left on the people she was living among. Her death was a turning point and when reconciliation began between the defenders, forgiveness through Christ was unstoppable. Easy and Ntobeko along with 2 others convicted (I work with) were granted amnesty and began a long journey weaving barriers against racism and violence, into liberation. This story of forgiveness is powerful!
We went to a crèche 2 mornings that week also. The children were so precious! Language barrier was huge. Between the children and us, also us and the teachers. There was a grammar confusion between myself and the adults. I was asking if I could help them by cleaning their bathroom for them, and they must have thought that I was asking them to clean the bathroom for me, because she said, “oh yes, yes, and came back 5 minutes later and said, “The bathroom is clean!” oh…oops I felt awful. But I pressed on in trying to communicate and ask questions. It was obvious that obedience was demanded by the teachers. I watched the teachers play games with the kids and then on the play ground we ran around and tried to play Xhosa games with them. Haha oh goodness, it was so cute how they just followed me around. I was sitting down at one point and a girl ran over, sat on my lap and said “amacici”. I picked her up and said “Yes! Yes! Amacici” “Earings!” I learned that word from Sinazo the day before. I was so excited= connection! A worker there told me as one of the boys was staring at me with the most determined look, “he’s probably never seen a white person before.” I was slightly shocked, for I assumed most areas had at least some percentage of whites or colored people living there. I am learning not to assume as much. “Cool!” I thought, “I am a smiling white memory for those children!”


I would like to share with you about Nomapha, This sisi (female label of respect) lives with her mother and 8 children (some of which are her own). Nomapha had a stroke a few months before her mother had a stroke. She was in high school (Nomapha), when she was diagnosed with HIV. She was a model, so that news ended her career. After which she has a few kids and then the tragic stroke. It left her with only half a brain. When we went to visit her, she was dressed beautifully, she still cared for her upkeep. All ten family members lived in a room no larger than y burns dorm rom. Girls in my group put together any rand they had, in response to a feeling to give to Nomapha for food. When Jul’s presented the Monday to her, she started to cry. At a whisper said, “God bless you…God Bless you” I thought, no no, God Bless you child, not us. Talk about humbling.
It was after this encounter, that I was sitting in the J.L. Zwane center, and just broke. I just could not control the tears flowing as all I had seen and heard the whole week welled up inside me. It was a time which opened up for so much honesty between us. Pairs broke off to go talk, and vent on what they were trying to process (please bare with me for it is hard to re-capture this incident.) Sam took my hand and said- we need to talk. We had a wonderful discussion as we pouredour hearts out. I am so glad we was able to come on this trip. It was a beautiful conversation and time of prayer… Praise God… for he really gives us words when he wants us to speak, and ears to listen when it is time to be silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment